I need a break from sewing. I have been thankful the Organic DyPeas orders have been rolling in, but I am whooped-is that a word? I have said it before, and yes, I am going to say it again-I LOVE sewing these diapers. They are so soft and absorbent, however this is not why I am writing.
I realized, while I was sewing-that I should explain who I am and what I am doing to those who have just become aware of the MilliLee brand.(long pause) hmmm-I wish I could say. This has been an UNEXPECTED journey in my life-a side adventure at minimum.
My sons have both worn some form of cloth diaper, and I decided I would design one myself. After SEVERAL failed attempts-I had one I liked...oh and I hadn't really sewn before. (This had not been a life long passion.) My grandma sews, my mom sews, and I had sewn in 8th grade Home Ec. class (that did NOT go well). I have sewn blankets and few of my curtains, but nothing fancy. Still I decided I would try and make a diaper.
After practicing and re-designing-I had one that was (the soon to be) DyPeas Cloth Diaper. I posted my pictures on Facebook for my mom (who lives far away), my sister-n-law (who lives far away) and my roomie from college (who-say it with me-lives far away.) I had NO idea anyone else would care, let alone think I did A GOOD JOB and thought I should sell them! (Still blows my mind.)
"I AM NOT SELLING CLOTH DIAPERS!" Ha! Well, turns out God had another plan. The more people encouraged me-I started to think about starting a business. Then one day my husband said, "you are very picky, you know how to make a great cloth diaper and how to educate others about the new style of cloth diapering-I think you should do this." I sighed and realized, "okay, so I am going to sew and sell diapers-what next?" My 2 year old son calls his diapers "DyPeas", and the new brand was named.
I have a good friend from college who is an amazing-let me say that again-AMAZING photographer. I emailed her and told her I was thinking about starting a business, hoping she had some kind of advice for me. She did and was so encouraging. She offered to take pictures of my products, and I then I was SUPER excited! All our pictures are by her hand, and I love LOVE LOVE every one of them. Her pictures captured my products, and suddenly this whole crazy idea started to make sense.
I love sewing clothes too, and decided to launch MilliLee Clothing a few months later. I am so thankful to have this opportunity, and hope you genuinely enjoy my product. I strive to make quality clothes and cloth diapers that make your life easier and cozier. I want to make a product you can trust and feel good about putting on your little ones. I know I want the same for my kids, and with each stitch I am more convinced that this is one of my greatest adventures.
And that-is me. (well, the seamstress part)
Milli
No comments:
Post a Comment